- Game provider: NetEnt
- Launch: 2012
- RTP: 96.06%
- Reels: 5
- Paylines: 10 (pay-both-ways)
- Progressive jackpot: No
- Max win: 50,000 coins
- Wild symbol: Yes, expanding & sticky
- Re-spins: Yes
- Multipliers: No
- Bonus game: No
- Min wager: 0.01 USD
- Max wager: 100 USD
Overview & Opinion
Starburst was launched in 2012, during an era when all the big game developers were promoting really advanced slots with many special symbols, unusual reel configurations, complex bonus rounds, etcetera. Yet, the simple Starburst with its lack 5 x 3 layout, 10 paylines and lack of bonus games and progressive jackpots became an instant success.
The three most notable things about Starburst:
– The 10 paylines pay both right-to-left and left-to-right. In a way, its like having 20 paylines.
– The wild symbol expanding and sticky and gives your re-spins
– The game is really quick and colourful, and a lot of people love its fun and energy-rich style.
If you like the colourful style of the slots Candy Crush Saga and Bejewelled, you will probably like Starburst too.
A starburst is a violent explosion, or the pattern (likened to the shape of a star) supposed to be made by such an explosion. In the case of the Starburst slot, a multitude of pretty gemstones are bursting forth over the screen, but the largest attraction is the star-shaped colourful wild symbol.
There is a yellow gem, green gem, red gem, blue gem and purple gem. The classic slot symbols BAR and Lucky 7 can also appear on the reels, and pays better than the gems.
The starburst wild symbol
The Starburst wild symbol is more powerful than a regular wild symbol. It will expand to fill a whole reel, and it will then get sticky and stay like that for three re-spins. This gives your chances to win multiple times on a single wager.
The Starburst wild can only appear on the reels 2,3 and 4. It never appears on the first or fifth reel.
Starburst does not have any progressive jackpots, but the biggest individual win is an impressive 50,000 coins. The bar symbols are the keys to this win. If you get five of them on an active payline you win 250x the bet.
Betting at Starburst
Starburst is available for several currencies, depending on which casino you play in. If you are playing in Euro, the coin value can be adjusted from €0.01 to €1. The bet level is from 1 to 10.
The smallest wager is 1 coin of €0.01 on 1 payline = €0.01 per game.
The largest wager is 10 coins of €1 each on 10 paylines = €100 per game.
A Max Bet button is available, and so is Autoplay.
Winning at Starburst
- Starburst is considered a low volatility slow. It has a moderate hit frequency of 22.65%.
- The absence of big progressive jackpots bring the variance down for Starburst, and this is appreciated by many players.
- The Return To Player (RTP) is 96.09%. This is high compared to the average in the online slot world, but there are slots available with an even higher RTP.
Can I play Starburst on my cell phone?
NetEnt has released Starburst in HTML5 which means it works great on mobile phones and tablets. It is compatible with both iOS and Android. You can play directly in the web browser. Many casinos have apps available that includes Starburst if you prefer to play in a casino app.